Skip to main content

Help for Carers

  • By law, if an adult is unable to make key decisions or take necessary actions to safeguard their own welfare, a court can appoint a 'welfare guardian' to do this for them.

  • The Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 says a carer is someone who gives you care and support when you need it.

  • If someone you care about becomes unwell, they may need to be detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act, or 'sectioned'. If this happens, they can nominate a 'named person', who will look out for their interests.

  • A power of attorney is authority given by an individual, when they have capacity, to another person(s) to deal with aspects of the individual's affairs. This could relate to financial/property matters, and/or personal welfare.

  • Information about Part 6 of the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000 - Financial Guardianship.

  • Find out more about the common conditions that are covered by what the law calls a "mental disorder"

    Common conditions